“Migrating from a managed hosting solution to a cloud solution made us very nervous, but it was absolutely necessary to meet our growth goals. So much could go wrong. Aptum were our obvious choice, not just because we had an existing relationship with them, but because they made sure we were going in the right direction with Azure, and they have a proven track record of this kind of thing. We weren’t wrong.”
– Eddie Palastino, Regional IT Director, Palace Entertainment
Palace Entertainment is a subsidiary of Spain-based Parques Reunidos who operate various attractions across more than 60 different amusement parks, zoos, and water parks around the world.
Palace Entertainment, based in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, has over 500 employees and is primarily involved in the operation of attractions in the United States.
They have been a long-standing customer of Aptum’s since 2008, hosting their workloads on a private cloud hosted in Aptum’s Atlanta data center.
Over the past few years, Palace Entertainment has seen tremendous growth, having most recently, and very successfully, integrated acquisitions into their portfolio.
- Improving the cost/performance ratio
One of Palace Entertainment’s key objectives when deciding to upgrade their infrastructure was to improve the cost/performance ratio. The challenges included the removal of database limits, enablement of scalability, and maximization of cloud usage per GB/Hr.
- Mitigating disruptions
It is critical that Palace Entertainment’s IT services always remain available, so another key challenge was to mitigate disruptions and improve the stability of the environment.
Security is a huge concern for Palace Entertainment, not only to protect their data but to also ensure their environment meets best practice standards.
Palace Entertainment’s internal resources were limited so to meet their business goals, these had to be expanded while also maintaining budgetary constraints.
- Business Continuity
Should the worse happen, Palace Entertainment needed to be sure they could jump into action with a tried and tested Business Continuity Plan.
- Firstly, Aptum’s Cloud Adoption Framework (CAF) was brought into play to fully understand Palace Entertainment’s motivations and desired outcomes of migrating to cloud. This allowed a comprehensive cloud strategy and plan to be defined, and an actionable plan put in place to ensure the readiness of people, processes and governance for the adoption of new technical capabilities.
- Aptum seamlessly rehosted the Redhat Linux server to Azure from Aptum’s Atlanta data center into Azure East US. Palace Entertainment’s database was then migrated into Azure Database for MySQL. The configuration included a read replica for Azure Databases for MySQL in Azure West US.
- Disaster Recovery services were implemented ensuring data is available 24/7. Also, in the event of a failover, virtual machines can be deployed on demand to eliminate potential disruptions and uptime SLAs are met.
- Aptum managed services - Palace Entertainment has chosen Aptum to manage their environment on an ongoing basis. They have opted for our top tier – Azure Premium Managed Service – to benefit from a host of services that will keep every aspect of their environment maximsed.
As fast as you want it to be. As reliable as you need it to be. A broad spectrum of managed services for servers, storage, databases, commerce and business applications. Backed by Aptum’s 24/7 expert support. We transformed business for Palace Entertainment, what can we do for you?Talk to a Cloud Expert